In regards to COVID-19, I wanted to check-in and share some basic reminders of how to prevent the spread of viruses. I also want to reassure you that we have many anti-viral treatments from plants; all the way from Chinese Herbal Formulas like Gan Mao Ling or others containing Andrographis, Isatis, and Scute Root, to more local and Western remedies like Elderberry Syrup, Oil of Oregano, Thyme Tea, Olive Leaf, Lauricidin (extracted from coconut), and also simple Vitamin C, D, and Zinc. You can also cook with more ginger, thyme, and garlic, yum!
Here are some basic precautions that can be calmly integrated into your daily routine, as we should do with every flu season:
● Avoid close contact with people who are sick, and you may already be sheltering in place. My physical clinic is currently closed and probably will remain closed until early June.
● Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
● Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains 60%-90% alcohol if soap and water are not available. COVID-19 can transmit through both respiratory droplets and via stool, so careful hand-washing is critical. Here is a video to visually show the steps to make sure you get soap on all parts of your hands.
● Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue, then throw it in the trash can. Cough or sneeze into your elbow and not your hand if you do not have a tissue available. If you contaminate your hand and then touch other objects, you will spread the virus.
● Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
● Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
● Get good sleep, and prioritize your self-care. Sleep is crucial to optimize immune function.
● Eat nutrient-rich foods, and prioritize a healthy diet. Your diet provides building blocks used by your immune system to fight illness. Here is a link about food safety.
● Optimize your vitamin D, zinc, and vitamin C levels. You can order supplements here. Sun your face.
● Stay hydrated. Water is at the foundation of our health.
● Stay calm. An outbreak is scary, but most people will experience COVID-19 as a mild illness. Prolonged, toxic stress inhibits immune function, so whether it is fear about the virus or excess stress at home or work, do what you can to give your system a break and restore. Exercise, acupuncture, nutritional and herbal supplements recommended by your healthcare practitioner, qigong, yoga, meditation, or whatever your “go-to” to unwind must take priority now. These are not luxuries! Take care of yourself.
Chinese herbs are so powerful in treating colds and flus and have been used on the frontlines in China against COVID-19. Even though my physical clinic is closed at this time, I am offering donation-based 20-minute consultations about herbs, stress-management, and to discuss any symptoms you may be having. Pay whatever you want for the chat, and I can let you know how much additional herbs would cost. My Venmo account is Erin Wood @ErinLiseWood, or a check can be sent to me here in the mountains. If you are having any acute symptoms such as trouble breathing or a high fever, call your MD or advice nurse to see if you need to go to urgent care or the ER.
Keep practicing spacious solidarity and take care of one another!
~Erin Wood, L.Ac.